Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Is this Philosophy?


A friend is listening to a lecture series on philosophy from Harvard. He’s made his way through Socrates, Plato and Aristotle. He’s an electrician with narcolepsy who doesn’t read because it puts him to sleep. Instead he listens. Is this philosophy?
On Thursdays we meet at a local diner for the BBQ beef ribs special. Four massive ribs, mashed potatoes, vegetable of the day, Texas toast, and iced tea, all for $5.25. Makes you wonder how McDonalds can stay in business. We sit and talk about form, thought, matter, life, and ribs. Is this philosophy?
My friend is old enough to be my dad. In ghetto generations he’s old enough to be my grandpa. He listens to philosophy because he’s tired of listening to fiction, talk radio, sports, music, and silence. But is that really why he listens? I told him the other day that Plato’s most famous line was one that Plato attributed to Socrates, “The Unexamined Life is Not Worth Living.”
He said, “Really, I thought Descartes said that!”
“No,” said I, “I think Descartes said, ‘I think therefore I am.’”
“Oh,” says my friend. “I think Descartes got it backwards. I would say, ‘I am therefore I think.’”
“You’re probably not the first one to say that,” I replied. Is this philosophy?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I blog, therefore I think someone is reading this.

8:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home